Sunday, February 1, 2015

Mrs. Valentine

Mrs. Valentine is my all-time favorite teacher.  Every time I write a note, a card, a letter, I hear her voice.  Whenever I tell my friends or my family to “drive safely” not “drive safe” (Mrs. Valentine—I hear you. It is “safely”, an adverb) I always correct those who do not use the adverb.

Mrs. Valentine was fond of teaching her students with books.  We had to read several books during the course of a school year.  And we had to do book reports.  Oh those blasted book reports.  I remember how I tried to get out of doing a book report on this particular book I disliked.  Yuck!  So, I waited until the classroom cleared out and went up to talk to Mrs. Valentine (it was a Monday).  I told her I had read the book. She asked me enough questions to satisfy herself that I had indeed read the book.  I then went on to say that I was very sorry, however, I had a lot going on at home and would not be able to do the report.  She just smiled and nodded.  (Whew, that was easy.)
Yea, it’s Friday, hello weekend.  Mrs. Valentine always gave us a send off with “have a wonderful weekend class”.  This Friday I was summoned to her desk after class was dismissed (uh-oh).   “Yes Mrs. Valentine?”  About your book report, dear, you will do your report this weekend and you will bring your report to my home this Sunday at 5:00pm sharp.  Not one minute after, precisely 5:00pm.  Yes, Mrs. Valentine.

Thank you Mrs. Valentine, you knew exactly how to handle me.

Fondly,
Rhonda Wright-Smart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cloverdale High School Class of '65 members - please feel free to comment on these posts. Your comments will be moderated - but we'll try to get to them as quickly as possible.